Sunday, July 5, 2009

Suffer the Children

I recently had an experience with a couple of “Christian women” that left a bad taste in my mouth. Sharing this will not change my opinion on church nor will it change the attitudes of this particular type of Christian. It will, however, make me feel a lot better.

I was on a quest to retrieve my son’s birth certificate. Despite the fact that I had to deal with the people at the local health department I was in an upbeat mood.

There were a few Hispanic children playing a few rows down from me. They were not being rowdy or unruly; they were just playing. That’s when the two women behind me started tearing the children apart. All I could think was, “Lord I hope the children’s parents can’t speak English.”

One woman stated that if those children where hers she would have already beaten them.

Beat them?

The other woman says in a snooty tone, “That’s why I hate coming to places like these. It does make me feel blessed for the things that I have though.”

Places like these?

Woman one retorts with a story about church. Ms. Whoever had been leaving her two older children with her during the sermon. It seems she had to keep getting up to take her toddler to the nursery. Woman two states that she would have already told her off.

Finally, my son’s name is called and I get an escape. As I am walking up to retrieve his birth certificate I can hear more negative comments about the children at play.

Come on people! What do you expect out of children who have been sitting for hours with nothing to do but stare at the walls? It seems to me the parents of these children were wiser than the two “Godly” spectators. They allowed their children to be children. Is that a sin?

If you happen to be one of the spectators, I will pray for you. I will pray that you find the definition of Christianity which is to strive to be more Christ-like.

Is your behavior in this matter really what Jesus would do?

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Natasha. I totally agree with you : children should be allowed to be children. And I also hate it when people, like the two women you mentioned, make it appear that they are better parents than others. Only our children can measure our true parenting value.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry those "Christian" women were like that. It is definitely NOT Christian behavior as I understand it to be. Children need to be allowed to be children, and the idea of "beating" a child makes me sick to my stomach. I have seen the results of that too often. I am glad you opened up this topic. There are many misconceptions nowadays about children and how to work with them. My 90 year old Mother (who had 6 of us) is afraid of children running around, for example. She thinks one might run into her and knock her over, walker and all. So, we don't take her places where kids might be running around which, unfortunately now includes her church.
    There are so many factors to all of this, culture, decency, tolerance, understanding, patience. But most of all, I hate the gossip. It is a "sin of the mouth" which is totally destructive, and that is what these women were doing.

    ReplyDelete